Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Let me tell you about my first triathlon...

It was Father's Day, 2007. It was raining and cold, around 12 degree Celsius. I had a rented wetsuit, a borrowed steel frame bike with shifters on the down tube, pedals with clips. I had no clue about how transition would go. BUT, I was so excited!! There was nothing keeping me from competing that day. I was entered in the sprint distance race and that, at the time, was a huge undertaking! My feet were frozen coming out of the lake, and stayed that way in my asics running shoes that were sopping wet on the bike after running through puddles in T1. The bike was very tentative, I had only been on this bike a handful of times and never on wet pavement. I took it easy on the big downhills, thinking self preservation was important. I went out onto the run with the same frozen feet, wet socks and shoes. I actually couldn't feel my feet. It felt like I was running on stumps. I hung in there though, and had a great result for my first tri. Swim and run times were good, bike was pretty slow but at least I stayed on it. Found my wonderful and equally soaking wet husband and kids at the finish line (it was so good to know they were there for me that day). I sent them home to dry off while I enjoyed the awesome post race meal and awards ceremony. One of the best things about that day was the people I met after the race. There I was, alone, at my first triathlon and no one to eat my pasta with, BUT, I just sat down with a group and had a great visit with some other soggy athletes. There was such a feeling of camaraderie that day, and still I will chat with people about that day..."were you at Arbour Lake in 07"...."it was crazy, man!!"
My feet hurt like you wouldn't believe, near hypothermia and still, after that one day--I was hooked!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome story! My second triathlon was in St. Albert. It was 2C out when I got out of the pool and on the bike. I didn't feel my feet the entire race!

    Welcome to blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always amaze me! So glad you've set up this site, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete