Friday, March 12, 2010

The Joy of Exercise (aka the inner workings of my mind??)

Joy?? A lot of people find exercise a chore, something they dread, something they do because they "have" to. But what are the joys of exercise?

For me, one of the big reasons I exercise is competition. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to compete, so I work hard to get faster and stronger. When I am in those really hard workouts, when I feel like I can't do another interval, when my legs are burning, my heart is racing and I can barely catch my breath, I think of race day -- and I keep on pushing.

But I also exercise for other reasons. I exercise because I love the way it makes my body feel. Firm and muscular feels good in my favorite jeans. I love feeling fit and healthy. But I also love the way it makes me "feel". I have more energy and feel more vibrant when I am exercising. During rest periods where I might take a few days off in a row I feel sluggish and tired. Plus, you can't forget about those great endorphins after really hard workouts. Although I think my husband could probably do without those moods, because I talk nonstop when I am on a "runner's high".

I also exercise because I purely enjoy it. To me there is nothing like getting outside on a country road (in good weather) and heading out for an easy run. I let my steps go without looking at my wristwatch, and my mind wanders... And I usually come home and say to my hubby, "you know what I was thinking..." and he just laughs at me. My best thinking happens on my long runs.

Exercise is also family time. When the kids were little I would load them up in the chariot and we'd head out along country roads and take notice of horses, cows, wildflowers (weeds), a variety of native four legged furry creatures, birds, and even the circle of life by witnessing decomposition over time (how road kill can be interesting to kids...). They would pet ponies, pick flowers in the ditches and get out for the last bit and run home. They sometimes still talk about those rides. Now that they are older we exercise together. Sure, it's not the hard stuff that makes for personal bests, but it's quality time (and calories burned!), out riding bikes, walking (and now running with my soccer girl!), roller blading, skating, and cross country skiing. Exercise has become a family affair. And the best part is knowing the example I am setting for my kids. They know that exercise is just another normal part of life, like brushing their teeth. Being fit and eating healthy is the norm in our house (I will save the fast food frequency for another post).

And some days? Well, yes, even some days I exercise because I feel like I "have" to. But that's okay. Because there are so many reasons to get out the door, on the bike, in the pool, on the treadmill, to the gym, that the days when I don't feel like it, I can dig deep and get 'er done.

We all exercise for different reasons, but the very best, is when we find the JOY in exercising!


No comments:

Post a Comment